Tuesday 17 May 2011

Questions to Girma Kassa

Selam Girma,

I read your article re. the renaissance dam on the Nile. I just have a few questions and comments about it.

1) You said the 1993 agreement between Egypt and Our country - paricularly article 5 - is not an issue.

(Each Party Shall refrain from engaging in any activity related to the Nile waters that may cause appreciable harm to the interests of the other party)


A) Doesn't this depend on the interpretation of Egypt to say 'this project harms my interest'?
B) Can you explain how Egypt, as a down-stream country, can do anything to harm the flow of the Nile?
(Reminds us of the hyena who was drinking up-stream accusing the donkey at down-strem to have muddied the waters.)
B) If like you said it can't be taken as an obstacle to Ethiopia why is it there?
C) Why, oh why, sign this agreement in the first place without the other up-stream countries?

2) Given the TPLF/EPRDF's track record regarding honesty, the 1997 election is one to mention, how do you convince any one to have trust in them? Don't tell me take my word for it.

3) They said this was called 'Project X' and started 2 years before the last election bla bla bla .. Can we see any evidence, documentary or otherwise, if that is so? Why a project of such magnitude is not discussed in
parliament - we know there something called a closed session! No?

4) Again on the trust issue what was done to Ethiopia's sea port? Badme and the Algiers agreement etc. I am sure you know this issues inside out. Can you enlighten us how this time around the TPLF/EPRDF suddenly changed its nature? Could it, let me guess, ideological mutation?

I have a few more but let me see how you do with the above before I get on the band wagon of 'Hidassei Gidib'.

Thanks
Alem

No comments:

Post a Comment